Not the prettiest chicken you ever see, but packed with flavour, and really easy peasy to throw together.
Like all things we cook at Food on the Move, start with the best free-range chicken you can find – around 1.5 kilos. Season the chicken generously with salt and cracked black pepper.
You will need a heavy-duty pot, in which the chicken will fit snugly.
- Heat a generously glug of olive oil and brown the seasoned chicken on all sides until a deep golden brown.
- Once browned, pour off the fat, then add 6 whole unpeeled garlic cloves, a cinnamon stick, a generous handful of fresh sage leaves, 2 cups of fresh full fat milk, and the juice and peel of 2 large lemons.
- Bang into a 190C oven with the lid on the pot.
- Walk away for the next 45 minutes, then give the chicken a generous basting with the sauce that has formed.
- Put the chicken back into the oven, this time without the pot lid for another 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
Pull apart the chicken and serve with its delicious lemony juices.